Sunday, August 25, 2013

Review - The Beginning of Everything by Robyn Schneider

I applaud female authors who attempt to write from a male's prospective. It isn't easy unless you've been in their shoes and then exchanged genders at some point along the way. Originally titled, Severed Heads, Broken Hearts, The Beginning of Everything is the story about Ezra Faulkner and how he copes with a major life altering event.

Ezra is an interesting character for us to explore. He goes from having it all, girlfriend, team captain of the tennis team, big man on campus, and class president. In one fell swoop everything changes. His girlfriend does something completely asinine, and then he's hit by an out of control SUV that ends his sports playing days forever and changes his life in a radical direction. You could say he goes from the penthouse, to the outhouse and that would be apropos.

The story really is about life after a tragedy. What do you do when everything you've ever wanted, and worked hard for is completely taken away from you? Do you shrink within yourself and cut everyone else out of your life? Do you attempt to move on in a new and hopeful direction that there is life after tragedy? What happens when a highly mysterious and intelligent girl named Cassidy Thorpe comes along and forces you to reexamine your previous standards, and those you think of as friends?

There are a lot of similarities in The Beginning of Everything that happened to me while I was in High School. As a swimmer, I tore the muscles in my neck and back and was sidelined for an entire year. Luckily, Physical Therapy allowed me to return for my senior year but I was never the same again. During the time I was sidelined, my friendships also suffered with my teammates and others. I was the captain of the team like Ezra, and therefore a lot was expected from. Ezra's journey is 180 degrees from me because my troubles later led me into joining the US Navy to get away from everyone including my parents. 

Cassidy, Cassidy, why do I want to hug you and then squeeze your neck until you turn all sorts of colors? You and Ezra are awesome together even though you are so sullen and mysterious about your past. There is no way you can sit there and tell me I'm wrong either. You changed Ezra's perspective and forced him into having fun again. You brought him back to his friendship with his former best friend Toby Ellicott and for that I'm appreciative. You made him realize that his friends really weren't what he needed any more and it was time to move along. So, tell me Cassidy, why did you do what you did and why couldn't you just believe in Ezra? 

Overall, The Beginning of Everything is an interesting journey that I believe young adults will absolutely fall for especially when it comes to Ezra's way of telling his story. For those that abhor 3 way love triangles and insta-love situations, you will be more than happy that neither rears their demon heads into this story. 

*Recvd via Edelweiss 02/01/2013* Expected publication: August 27th 2013 by Katherine Tegen

Author - Robyn Schneider
Title - The Beginning of Everything
Publisher - Katherine Tegan for Harper Collins
Released - August 27, 2013
Genre - YA Contemporary


2 comments:

  1. I don't know if it's for me but it sounds interesting. Thanks I didn't know this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh that's a cool trivia! Do you still swim? FL I would think is a swimmer's paradise.

    ReplyDelete